Conspicuous Consumption

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 10,887
Re: Conspicuous Consumption

Jacques Cornell wrote:

lbuclk= wrote:

I was looking at another wedding photographer's web site and in the FAQ section was a short paragraph on "what kind camera do you use". the photographer explained his/her gear. in all my years of wedding shoots, I've never had that question asked.

I've never asked my dentist what kind of drill he uses or a chef, what brand pf knife he used. I was wondering how many others have been asked about their equipment?

My gut reaction is that this is a relatively inexperienced photographer who's feeling insecure or doesn't know how to market his images. I might promote my gear's capabilities - what they make possible - but not the brand, model, or any other specific information about the gear itself.

The problem is that potential customers may not know how to judge whether or not your competitors have gear with similar capabilities.

Suppose you shoot with a model X camera from brand Y.

If you tell your potential customers that you have a full frame camera with 30 megapixels, then many of your competitors will have similar gear.

On the other hand, if you tell your potential customers what brand and model you have and convince them that this is the best camera to have, then you look better than competitors with similar cameras of a different model or brand.

====

Suppose your camera had a Foveon sensor.   Your marketing could "educate" potential customers why Foveon sensors produce better images than traditional cameras.  Done right, you could have your potential customers asking competitors about gear, and not considering anyone without a Sigma camera.

A very common and effective marketing strategy is to differentiate yourself from your competitors, and then convince potential clients that the difference is significant enough to make you the best choice.

Typical campaigns might include differentiating yourself based on, price, reliability, your personality, the gear you use, or even the quality of your work.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow