Best APS-C IBIS for short home movies on the market?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pufftissue Regular Member • Posts: 145
Best APS-C IBIS for short home movies on the market?

Hi,

Two questions:

I'm not a video producer, just hoping to find some non-distracting video of family moments that is not too shaky. I've found the iphone's stabilization, though the video is worse, to be more palatable when watching on a larger screen than a real camera's 4k footage that is sharp and clearer but totally jerky.

1. Is it without question that the Fuji X-H1 has the best APS-C IBIS for 4k videos currently on the market? I do not want to consider micro 4/3 due to the image quality hit in low light, so it must be APS-C. I can't afford full frame. And if Fuji is the best, is it head and shoulders ahead of second place, which I believe is Sony?

2. Will IBIS for video be steadier than buying a fuji OIS lens like the kit zoom 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 or a Sony 35mm f1.8 OSS? I'm wondering if the a6400 with an OSS lens for home movies of say 5 minutes be as good as an X-H1? Or is there something superior about the Fuji's IBIS that might make it steadier? General sentiment on youtube, which is all I have, is that the Sony a6500 has checked the IBIS Box, but it's terrible for video? But I'd like real opinions.

3. What about APS-C DSLRs capable of 4k video? If I buy a stabilized lens, and use it with say, a D500's 4k video, will it be as smooth as a mirrorless?

4. I can't imagine myself using a hardware stabilizer, but I've seen people walking around with them for smartphones. Are there super tiny ones of these that will add good stabilization to a small camera with the 23 f2 such as the X-t30? Only if it's really tiny would I be likely to bother setting it up, as usually moments are spontaneous.

Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow