Canon EOS RP sales nosedive in Japan

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
FujLiver
FujLiver Contributing Member • Posts: 687
Re: After initial excitement for $1399 FF-M; poor Video Handicap COOL ↓ excitement

007peter wrote:

WSteveP wrote:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-eos-rp-sales-nosedive-in-japan

Article blames lack of native lenses. However given the compatability of EF lenses (with adapter) I'm not sure that would be the reason. I wonder how sales are in north America and Europe. Comments?

I'm not surprised. I was overly excited by the rumor of $1399 Canon RP: part of me WISH it could be true; part of me know it won't be $1399, or the anticipation of actually announcement really culminate into an high excitement upon RP's release.

But soon after, some sobering reality merged to cool ↓ my excitement for it:

• Canon RP doesn't shoot @24fps. Important for Slow-Mo from 60p or 120p
  • Canon RP can't shoot @120p Slow Motion that a $899 Fuji X-T30 can
  • Canon RP AF is worse than I expected
  • Canon RP Eye AF are nearly useless

So while I do like the "idea" of a FF mirrorless for $1399. I want a real video-capable system and so far a $899 Fuji X-T30 seem like a much better buy offering me a 120p Slow Motion @200mpbs, an Eye AF tracking that works, and a native 4K without crop.

That being said, RP is a Fantastic STILL-ONLY camera, but in Today video-centric-YouTube everywhere world, I wanted a camera with better video ability and sadly RP isn't that prince I hope it would be.

have to disagree

video is so not important

if I did proper video (like I know people who do) I would have a proper video camera and not a stills camera with pretensions, like all the mirrorless are. Even the Sony mirrorless supremos are nothing like proper video cameras (which are made by Sony ah hem!).

As for blogs and youtube, my iphone and OPPO are plenty good enough

Lastly the RP is excellent for HD video. 4K is a waste of space unless you are a proff and really need it

Focus is excellent IMHO

I understand you said that the RP is a good stills cameas, IMHO its one of the best due to its weight and relative quality, but killing these cameas for video doesn't make sense. No one killed the Fuji's for their terrible video. just accepted them as the great stills cameras they are

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow