Morris's X-T3 Birds In Flight Setup

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Morris0
OP Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,055
Corrected: Morris's X-T3 Birds In Flight Setup

For the past month I've been using some new settings and hardware and I'm now confident I have found the magic to shoot BIF with the X-T3.

First off, it's bright out there and the eyecup that comes with the X-T3 allows too much stray light into your eye making it harder to see. I replaced the eye cup with the Fuji EC-XT L or a deeper third party one. I wear glasses and it works well with them. I recommend this change even if you don't wear glasses.

I use AF-C with Zone Focus Mode. I have set the zone to 3 boxes and stear with the focus stick as needed. I found that AF-C Custom Setting 5 (Erratic) was very close yet needed a little tuning so I dialed in 6 (Custom). I then used all the settings from 5 with just one change (bolded) which did the magic:

Tracking sensitivity: 4

Speed tracking sensitivity: 2

Zone area switching: Auto

Since making this change I've shot in fog, in low light after sunset and with backlit subjects and the 100-400 with and without the 1.4x TC nails focus as well as any camera I've used including the D500. There are occasions when the bird turns or changes speed where one frame in a burst might miss and that is usually not the case at 11 FPS.

Fuji warns that setting tracking sensitivity to 4 the camera might have trouble focusing in fog or low contrast situations. This has not been my experience yet I'm ready to go to AF-C mode 5 if that happens.

I hope this helps some of you,

Morris

Ps. My original post was from memory and incorrect. I'm sorry for the error.

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow