24mm GM or 16-35 GM?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JPatrick
JPatrick Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: 24mm GM or 16-35 GM?

d4kk0n wrote:

Hey guys

I switched from Nikon to Sony not long ago, got the 55mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8.

So my thoughts for completing the focal length are between the new 24mm 1.4 GM and the 16-35mm 2.8 GM. I know they are both light lenses and I can get a really good deal on both of them.

Since I already have the Nikkor 14-24 2.8 (with a manual adapter for the Sony) do you think the 24mm is more suitable? The 24mm for me would also be almost half the price of the 16-35mm and that's also good worth taking into account.

Thanks

For me personally, I tried the 24mm but opted to stay with the 16-35 f2.8.  I mainly use the 16-35 for landscape work so I don't need the fast f/1.4 speed of the 24mm.  I was hoping I'd be able to use the 24mm for some astrophoto work, but while it's has much less coma than most other lenses, it still doesn't give round stars in the corners.  But that's a tall order for any camera lens to fill.

I love the 16-35 for landscape and tight conditions, and it pretty much stays on the camera when I'm out and about.

JPatrick's gear list:JPatrick's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow