D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
OP Spare-time photog Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: Sorry - a made a mistake

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Sorry - I made a mistake in this latest post

Spare-time photog wrote:

You wrote in a post in this thread (March, 31), quotation:

The Z's do not work well with detail parallel to the long dimension of the frame which is OK for some subjects but not for others.

Quotation ends (Post#62498616).

This earlier post is correct.

The first section on auto focus in the Usual Manual (page 54 for the EN version) says the camera "may be unable to focus if the subject contains lines parallel to the long edge of the frame".

So in theory the camera should focus better on eyes in portrait mode, because the eyebrows, the eye lids etc. are then not parallel to the long edge.

After this shoot I would say the opposite is true.

You should ideally check for yourself what AF points do/do not work in one direction or the other (with several AF points) on any new camera.

Something like a black picture frame against a plain white wall is suitable for this.

I tried it and can confirm that the camera is clueless if I try to focus the edge of the picture frame parallel to the long dimension.

When taking important shots, pressing the centre of the AF Nintendo button zooms in (dependent on settings) to 100% - ideal for checking focus accuracy.

If you had done this after 3 or 4 shots you could have switched to manual focus.

I should have tried both: using the 1:1 magnification and trying to focus manually. But in the heat of the shoot I didn't want to fiddle around more than needed.

If the lens normally focusses good with other subjects you are learning, for whatever reason, AF does not work good with this type of subject.

My guess is the subject was unsuitable for accurate focus for one of the reasons mentioned on page 54 of the En User Manual.

And that is the crux: I pointed the AF field directly over the eye, partly also covering the eyebrows, eye lashes, etc. What I did is the same which the new eye AF update should do automatically, but if this target is not suited for the AF to work properly... hm, then we are in trouble until the model has clown type make up.

Seriously, I am quite clueless why the Z had so many difficulties to focus properly.

To be clear, I am not saying that the camera is incapable, it is absolutely possible (and probable) that the error is on my side! If I roughly count the perfect, tack sharp images and the so-so pictures than approx 70% are tack sharp and the rest ranges from acceptably sharp to completely useless.

Spare-time photog's gear list:Spare-time photog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow