GR III arrived - initial impressions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 833
GR III arrived - initial impressions

Hello all.

The GR III arrived last night and I had some time to play with the camera. These are my very initial impressions and I will also address some of the common concerns:

1. D-pad is solid

2. Lens barrel is well aligned

3. Lens ring seats firmly in place

4. Overall fit and finish is fine. Similar to any other high end compact.

5. There is a very slight rattle from the SR mechanism if I consciously shake the camera. It is a non-issue unless you are prone to erratically waving the camera around in quiet places...

6. Maybe I got lucky, but I have the distinct impression these internet "issues" are pushed by people with more time than sense

7. Firmware update to 1.10 was seamless and took a grand total of 2 minutes. I followed the instructions in the manual (imagine that...) and it worked perfectly

8. AF is fast and decisive and face detect works well. The AF is just as fast as my TG-5 and my 5D IV in live view mode in single shot non-tracking AF mode. I will evaluate in tracking mode later to compare to the 5D IV's DPAF. I don't expect the GR III to have similar performance but its still a good comparison point.

9. Overall operation is very quick and quiet. The physical UI of the camera is fantastic but the menu system is not intuitive for a newcomer to the GR system. As a more advanced user I appreciate they myriad options but I could see a beginner being completely overwhelmed by the degree of customization.

10. Image viewing and transfer using the latest version of the ImageSync app was extremely fast. The app is a bit primitive and requires you to manually select the GR from the available WiFi networks and enter the SSID (which you have to first find in the menus) but once setup it is very fast and stable. It is definitely a work in progress but it does work and gets the job done for transfer to social media etc.

11. I really appreciate the minimalist design of the camera and more importantly the understated branding. I wish more manufactures did this and didn't feel compelled to plaster their name all over the camera in bold colors and fonts. Well done Ricoh.

Thats it for now. I will update as I get more time with the camera.

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Ricoh GR III Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Olympus TG-5 Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow