Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
2ndact scene1 Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: Interesting new Ricoh GRIII metering - expose to the right finally?

SirPeepsalot wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Looks like Ricoh may have done the first or one of the first "expose to the right" metering-exposures ever. I saw they have a priority for highlights through the frame, which is new.

This would be interesting to preserve highlights at all costs and the famous "cameras should do expose to the right" that Michael Reichman from Luminous Landscape used to talk about.

I have not tried, so I can't be sure, but looks like that's what it tries to do from the manual.

Protecting the highlights is not what ETTR is about, that's "exposing for highlights".

It's ETTR if you shoot an empty, evenly-lit white wall without exposure compensation and it comes out white rather than gray.

I just heard about this for the first time yesterday in Mattius Burling’s review of the GRIII.  I am pretty sure he said he had used it before on a Nikon camera and finds it pretty useful.  Maybe it was a Nikon model that uses a sony sensor, so that would be the common denominator between Sony, Ricoh and some Nikon models.    Sounds like a great idea to me.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow