Damaged filter ring on NIKKOR 18-200mm VR lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MK Senior Member • Posts: 2,331
Re: happened to me

718Ken wrote:

Thanks MK. Craig says I could use glasses screwdriver to attach the Nikon screws, Unless there is a better screwdriver to attach them securely. Do you think I could reattach the old filter ring. It has 5 remaining screws. Even if I was able to purchase a 6th screw it would not hold as there is a chip at that hole. I think the blue loctite is a good idea to keep the screws in place. Do you think I should put a tiny drop of epoxy at the 6th hole to secure the filter ring or would 5 screws hold the filter ring securely to lens barrel, as long as I used the loctite on the 5 screws.

Any idea where to purchase a new filter ring cheaply and a few Nikon replacement screws, to do a proper repair? I see ads on ebay for $120.00 for the filter ring. That is crazy, It is just a plastic filter ring with 6 holes.It should not go for more that $20-$40.00.

Thanks, MK

I'm not sure how to answer you Ken as I've never had that problem.  Without seeing the problem first hand, I would think 5 would do it with a TOUCH of Loctite.  I would try it with 5 and if that doesn't work then use epoxy and the 6th.

Sorry, I don't know where to get the ring cheaply.

MK's gear list:MK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow