D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,638
Re: Now - customising Z body controls

greyhoundrick wrote:

I apologize but Im still not understanding how to see a 100% view of the shot before the exposure is taken. Can you tell me how you do that? Im sure I am missing something here.

For a Z newbie getting what you want can be a little confusing at first.

The way I do it (it is not the only way) is to go to the Custom Settings menu - Section f - Controls.

In Custom Settings Menu f2 right clicking the AF direction button brings up another sub menu sub menu with a range of options.

Select fn1 (the first option) and press the AF direction centre button to bring up a further sub menu.

In this sub menu select Zoom on.

Then right click (there is a menu arrow) for a choice of 50%, 100% or 200% viewfinder zoom when you press fn1 before taking a picture.

This seems to be what you want 

I use fn2 as a dof preview when shooting at smaller than f5.6 - because "small aperture" dof preview seems only available by fn2.

Moving ahead there are several other button custom options via sub menu f2, and also sub menus f3 to f7.

The Z User Manual index "Custom Settings" takes you to the "Fine tune Camera Settings".

These start with Custom menu a - autofocus, include menu f controls - and end with menu g - Movie

Some lens control ring settings mentioned are only available with more expensive lenses such as the just out 24-70 f2.8 S.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow