D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
OP Spare-time photog Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: STOP!

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Spare-time photog wrote:

There was one situation in which I wasn't almost able to get a tack sharp image at all: I was using my AF-S 85/1.8G lens, wide open at 1.8, the camera was in portrait orientation, I used AF-S, focus priority, single point, almost at the upper edge of the frame, direct over the eye.

STOP!

You have to learn mirrorless does not have cross type sensors.

Z AF cannot easily detect detail parallel to the short dimension of the frame.

This is what you were trying to do.

Next time either use manual focus, or make AF focus in landscape mode and then change to portrait mode. There is a back button to lock AF focus at the landscape framed distance

Ok, then I misunderstood something. I thought that horizontal parallel structures or lines are critical, not vertical (of course related to normal landscape orientation).

You wrote in a post in this thread (March, 31), quotation:

The Z's do not work well with detail parallel to the long dimension of the frame which is OK for some subjects but not for others.

Quotation ends (Post#62498616).

Now I am confused, but what you say here (Z AF cannot easily detect detail parallel to the short dimension of the frame.) makes sense in the described case: the vertical lines in landscape orientation are horizontal lines in portrait orientation and the eyes outline is mostly horizontal...

By the way, eyelashes in landscape orientation are not the best target for the AF system as they are parallel to the short dimension of the frame?

Spare-time photog's gear list:Spare-time photog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow