I made the upgrade from the cannon 800D to eos R, now what lens should I add?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
maarensv
maarensv Contributing Member • Posts: 894
Re: I made the upgrade from the cannon 800D to eos R, now what lens should I add?

Genobkk wrote:

I finally made the upgrade to FF, it is fantastic. I just need a few better lens but short on cash so wanted some ideas. I do landscapes mostly,, and portraits of people I like to shoot in low light both in street pictures and portraits.

I currently have a Tamron 15-30 SP 2.8 gen 1. cannon 50 mm 1.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 SP 2.8 gen 2. Yes I know in the perfect world I should get the RF 24-105 but a bit short on cash. I love the 50 1.8 on FF but now feel the need for an 85 mm, Cannon , or Tamron? I have also considered the cannon 24-105 f/4 is USM gen 1. I know it is an older lens but some say it will preform well on the R, I just would need to make sure I get newer copy. The RF 35 mm is not bad, but that is near my 15-30 focal length that I have already but it would be a great lens to use when I wanted to travel light, but that was the idea of getting the 24-105 What I would like to do is get the 85 mm 1.8 Cannon or Tamron and the Cannon 24-105 f/4 is USM gen 1 I have considered maybe a better 50 mm, I In reality I could not buy all at the same time it is just what I want. What are your ideas? What should be my next lens?

With already a 15-30, 50 and 70-200 there is no need to rush. I would take the time to save for the RF 24-105, which is an awsome all rounder. But if you feel the need for an 85mm prime, than also look for a 35mm prime. So either wait to get the RF 24-105, or get a 35 and 85mm so your setup will be 15-30, 35, 50, 85 and 70-200. I would not get the EF 24-105 version I over the RF version, since the RF version is so much better.

So the question is : want primes, or a standard zoom ?  In the last case there is only one real option IMO, and that is the RF 24-105. For primes you have multiple options, either Canon or third party, affordable to expensive, new or used.

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Sony a7R III +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow