D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,317
Re: Happy with my D810 to Z7 jump

Spare-time photog wrote:

RumpelHund wrote:

...The banding when pushing shadows is not as harmless as some say, though.

What do you use as a countermeasure? Do you use RawTherapee or the Nik Dfine tool?

In the past I pushed my D800 files not that much, because of an ugly color tint which appears if you push them to far.

In fact I think that the banding/striping issue is really something which one should consider. Hopefully Nikon will publish a solution for this, but I think that they will not even admit that there is a problem. So I am afraid that we are on our own, at least with RawTherapee and Nik Tools we have two solutions. (In the moment the Nik tools seem to be the better one, because one can integrate them more easily in the own workflow.)

Perhaps a commercial software company will also develop some solution, although I doubt that.

This business of banding is so overblown. This image has been pushed by 7 stops. Where is the banding?

The original looks like this...

Really deep shadows and very low level illumination. No banding at all.

I know that banding has been demonstrated but I have never seen it with my Z6. The idea that it should be viewed as a deal-breaker for folks considering a Z camera just isn't sensible.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow