Geotagging and Canon Camera Connect

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Chepe Nicoli
OP Chepe Nicoli Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: Geotagging and Canon Camera Connect

First of all, thanks to everyone who helped me with my doubts.

Thinking about how to recover the data (on the Camera Connect App), I connected my iPhone to iTunes to see if the app offered the option of sharing documents, to my surprise I found Camera Connect allowed me to download a file called CCV2CoreData_01.sqlite.

Besides doing photography, I am a programmer so it was very pleasant to see that this ".sqlite" file is nothing else than a database file.

How the sqlite data looks

So I downloaded it and learned that this file had the information not from each one of the photos, but from the routes I did.

Lightroom accepts .gpx files for geolocation, what it does is compare the time at which the photograph was made and look for a correspondence in the .gpx route, when it is found, it adds the geolocation data to the image.

Of course, I searched the internet on how to properly format the .gpx files and with the database that I was able to download from the Canon App I was able to recreate my routes and I was finally able to geo-tag my photos.

One of my routes.

Canon Camera Connect should give the option to download a properly formatted .gpx file to be used in Lightroom or other programs in case a user needs it.

Finally, I already learned how to activate the geolocation in the App as Dave Lasker and others helped.

I hope this experience I had serves others.

Cheers!!!

Chepe Nicoli's gear list:Chepe Nicoli's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow