Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) is a More Useful Measure than the DxOMark Landscape Score

Started Apr 17, 2015 | Discussions thread
OP bclaff Veteran Member • Posts: 8,680
Re: I have a question...

PaulSnowcat wrote:

I'VE seen that some sources have different PDR measured for the SAME camra when it's working in FF and in APS-C modes. For example, PDR or Sony A7RII in FF mode is bigger then it's PDR in crop mode.

How this can be true? Dynamic Range is a difference between the most light and the most dark pixel on the sensor that still have color information in them. How this parameter can change depending on which part of the same sensor you are talking about? It should be exaclty the same... Please explain this thing to me...

This is a common statement. Your confusion results from not understanding what Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) is.

PDR is normalized to a constant viewing condition.

The APS-C data will have to be enlarged more than the FF and that will make noise more apparent.
Therefore the useful photographic dynamic range, which is limited by noise in the shadows becoming objectionable, will be lower.

(The same applies to DxOMark Landscape dynamic range although they never publish separate values like PhotonsToPhotos.)
--

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow