***This week with your a7x/a9, Apr 27th - Mai 3rd, 2019***

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
rogerjosem
OP rogerjosem Senior Member • Posts: 2,414
Re: ***This week's backpack trip with my a7ii, Apr 27th - 28th, 2019***

rainrunner wrote:

Some pics from this weekends overnight backpack trip to Mt Hood.

Most everyone here are heading out to see the wildflowers, but we choose solitude in the snow.

This was my first test of night pictures using my new Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens on my Sony A7ii. After this test, I have to say I like this lens quite a lot. Wish it went wider, but I think that would have increased size and weight. This lens is at the upper end of what I want to carry on a backpack trip. I think it did a decent job on night photography, and gave what I consider great portrait pics.

Not much sunlight left to take pictures when we left the trailhead at 9 pm.

The 30% moon didn't rise until 3:45 am, but this was one of the moonless shots I got before head to sleep. 5000 iso

Woke up just before 4am with some moonlight and a boatload of climbers scaling Mt Hood

Lots of headlamps from the climbers making their way to the 11,250 ft summit of Mt Hood.

I used the clear zoom functions on my Sony A7ii to get a closer look at the climbers.... Not sure how this differs from cropping a shot in post processing though.

Dusk came up quickly on me losing the stars.

The east started to lighten up and my early morning photo shoot progressed.

My long anticipated first light began to shine on Mt Hood. Please excuse all the dirty snow, this is late season snow with covered in all the sand being blown around Mt Hood constantly which is why I wanted just one lens to carry for all my shooting needs, not swapping out lenses with all the fine dust blowing in the air in search of a sensor to land on.

Again using the camera clear zoom to get a close up of Mt Hood. The only downfall of this method to get a close up, is that it takes the shot in jpeg not raw.

The early morning light captures more of Mt Hood. Watching the sequence of the light spreading over Mt Hood, made me think I should do a time lapse sequence. But the exposure varies so much I might have an issue with over exposure. Maybe just having it in aperture priority with auto iso might help with that problem.

Mt Hood fully lit, time to pack up and head back to the car.

Heading back down the White Water canyon to the parking lot. The hike was 1.8 miles each way, and only 82 miles from our house.

And finally the portrait quality of the camera in the outdoors. Sure I could have done better, but my pack was 40 pounds, and my lovely wife doen't like to wait around until I get everything set up for the "perfect" shot.

Overall, I am liking the Tamron Lens. I used the Sony 24-105 f4 lens on our backpacking vacation to Yosemite last year, but that lens was heavier, larger, and didn't do as well for night shots, plus it costs $300 dollars more. I am cheap and want lighter weight camera gear.

Great series! I really like #3 and #5. Nice job!

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow