A7III IBIS malfunction (got solution from sony.com)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,199
A7III IBIS malfunction (got solution from sony.com)

I'm in the beginning of my 2-week vacation abroad, and today I got that violent image shaking, clicking noise and Turn power off then on error related to IBIS malfunction.

My A7III is almost 1 year old and running v3.0. I was shooting my friends casually with 24-240, and  suddenly IBIS failed, starting from roll axis, and then it quickly became impossible to use the camera at all (no matter which lens is installed, and whether the stabilizer is on or off).

My heart almost stopped at that moment, because carrying 2 kg, 3000$ worth of dead weight on my back for 2 weeks (while shooting with mobile phone) wasn't in my plans.

Luckily tonight I was able to fix this problem using the solution in this article: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/cameras-camcorders/articles/00032723

It says:

1. Turn the camera off.
  2. Remove the batteries and let it sit for a full minute.
  3. Turn the POWER switch to the ON position
  4. Press and hold the shutter button for 30 seconds.
  5. Release the shutter button.
  6. Turn the POWER switch to the OFF position.
  7. Reinsert the batteries.
  8. Turn the POWER switch to the ON position.

It helped, and the camera looks OK now. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Reported this problem to Sony.

Probably this solution may  relieve someone from ruined photo set.

P.S. Now I feel grateful to myself, buying A6300 in place of A6500 as a second camera. Probably the EOS R cameras aren't that bad?

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +5 more
Nikon 1 V3 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow