Is this the reality of EF glass on the A9?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 8,861
Re: Smalls

James Stirling wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

golfhov wrote:

My point still stands. The level of photography is MASSIVELY higher. Look at books of this from the 60s to 1990s and the few ICONIC shots are awesome but few and far between. Most look pretty rough because of the limitations of the time. Now looking at stuff starting in the 1990s and the stuff that pros have gone on to do with modern stuff shows the benefits.

The images may indeed be technically better as in lower noise etc but from an emotional impact not so much . Do you think this image of Muhammad Ali and Sonny Liston by Neil Leifer would be somehow "better" for being taken by a modern camera

So you mean only film cameras but not modern digital cameras can take this photo?

whoosh I mean exactly the opposite you can take wonderful images with any camera . The fact that it may require a bit more effort with one compared to the other is neither here nor there . Away from the tech obsessed world of gear forums { and we all fall into that trap here , myself included } . It is all about the full image if you saw this image in a gallery show about the greatest sporting images would you honestly look at it and think about noise and the like ?

Such argument we have heard thousand times - it's the person behinds VF not camera. Sure, but this is only one side of story, another side of story is the same person with a more capable camera simply will have much higher chance to capture the moments. You cannot separate two things. I am sure Neil used the best equipments then rather used even older cameras such as 30's gear. The same now those PJs use the current best capable cameras/lenses. Not sure what you are trying to argue about?

Return to OP, Canon lenses on A9 will work but with significant compromises. For the best chance to capture the moments to leverage the most potential of A9, native FE lenses are really needed.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow