Can the Z6 autofocus become as good as the A7m3 autofocus with the upcoming firmware update ? Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Alex Permit
Alex Permit Senior Member • Posts: 2,338
Re: First try with skaters: I'm impressed

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Matsu wrote:

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Gabriele Sartori wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

No. It won’t.

but I don’t care about low light AF. What it won’t have is a revamped AF-C tracking system.

Mike, why are you so sure about that?

The sensor is virtually the same, the rest is all math.

Mike isn't confident that Nikon engineers do math as well as Sony engineers - or that they have as much budget.

Hi Marianne, I’m curious if you’ve been using a z camera, and if so, how you’re making out with it, particularly in the case continuous AF and perhaps as compared to Nikon’s 51 pt PDAF DSLRs in that regard.

I was photographing a skating competition today, so I brought the Z7 along, with a 70-200/2.8 VR II mounted, to try out during the warmup periods.

I started off with AF-C single point, and I have to say it was just a joke. Couldn't stay with my subject and I was spending more time fighting to keep my subject in focus, than watching for moments to photograph.

But then I switched to Dynamic Area, and that made all the difference. Snappy acquisition and no problems tracking skaters without jumping off to the background. I was frankly surprised at how well it worked, and I would rate it good enough to use for customers' photos. It's still not quite a D5, but it could certainly compete with a D3.

I was going to try the AF wide area modes also, but it was a short competition and I ran out of opportunities. In the second half of May I have several major competitions to photograph, so I'll bring the Z7 along again for more practice.

I prefer dynamic area as well.  Tracking is useless to me because of the clumsy interface.

Thank you for your comparison to the D3. In some tests I ran a while back, I found my D3s was maybe better then my z7. I guess the z7 is somewhere between a D3 and D3s. Based on your old post comparing the D3 to the D3s, I now have a good point of reference.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2706849

Alex Permit's gear list:Alex Permit's gear list
Sony RX100 V Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon D5 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow