**This week with your Z6/7, Apr 27-May 3 2019**

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
OP JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,613
Re: Saint Jouannet Lightning @ 85mm F1.8G

Hasa wrote:

Hi,

We had a tremendous thunderstorm and after it passed I wanted to grab a panorama of the nearby ridge with the storm receding above. I was surprised to discover that I accidentally captured a lightning bolt with all the intricacies of how it is finding its way through the air - explore path - stop - new path - stop - new path - stop. It all occurs within microseconds. Every tiny thinking pause is marked by a white knot. It appears

This is an interesting bit of anthropomorphism.

"A typical cloud-to-ground lightning bolt begins when a step-like series of negative charges, called a stepped leader, races downward from the bottom of a storm cloud toward the Earth along a channel at about 200,000 mph (300,000 kph). Each of these segments is about 150 feet (46 meters) long.

When the lowermost step comes within 150 feet (46 meters) of a positively charged object, it is met by a climbing surge of positive electricity, called a streamer, which can rise up through a building, a tree, or even a person.

Some types of lightning, including the most common types, never leave the clouds but travel between differently charged areas within or between clouds." ref.: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/lightning/

Cropped, not downsampled. Please pixel peep and enjoy in 1:1

Downsampled panorama:

Nice images!

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
csn
csn
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow