Can the Z6 autofocus become as good as the A7m3 autofocus with the upcoming firmware update ? Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,333
Re: Can the Z6 autofocus become as good as the A7m3 autofocus with the upcoming firmware update ?

Gabriele Sartori wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

No. It won’t.

but I don’t care about low light AF. What it won’t have is a revamped AF-C tracking system.

Mike, why are you so sure about that?

The sensor is virtually the same, the rest is all math.

What I posted is simply my opinion.  While I'm fairly sure of my opinion, it's based on "feeling" from being a Nikon customer for 25 years.  So, could Nikon actually put out a firmware update that fixes all the Z autofocus shortcomings and puts on a level playing field with all the other mirrorless cameras out there?  Sure, anything is possible.

The middle of May will be here soon.  We'll see what Nikon puts out in the firmware update.  I wouldn't mind being completely surprised by Nikon.  But I don't expect much more than the addition of eye-AF.  We could likely see some general AF tweaks as well.  But again, I doubt it will raise the Z to the level of the others.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow