Can the Z6 autofocus become as good as the A7m3 autofocus with the upcoming firmware update ? Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,477
Re: Can the Z6 autofocus become as good as the A7m3 autofocus with the upcoming firmware update ?

michaeladawson wrote:

JPD2 wrote:

Hi all,

I have been away from this forum for many years. I still have my old Nikon D90, and I have been looking to upgrade to full frame.

I am interested in mirrorless, and I've read and watched video reviews of the various mirrorless cameras. I like the Z6 a lot, but the Sony A7m3 has considerably better autofocus in lower light. I don't know much really about mirrorless cameras, and I am wondering if the firmware upgrade coming on May 18th will allow the Nikon Z6 to match the low light autofocus abilities of the Sony ?

No. It won’t.

but I don’t care about low light AF. What it won’t have is a revamped AF-C tracking system.

+1

I'm sure the updated firmware will provide some welcome improvements in AF-C performance, but I just don't see how a simple firmware update can magically close the AF performance gap between the Z and A cameras. That will require hardware/design changes.

-- hide signature --

Gary prefers Nikon

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow