Confusion regarding R/L-adapter on SL

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thomas Guenther Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Confusion regarding R/L-adapter on SL

I will open my brought up question regarding measures from R/L-Adapter plus R 4/80-200.

Half a year ago I purchased the Leica Vario Elmarit R 4/80-200, ROM Version (Canada) together with the original R/L-Adapter from Leica.

Some confusing Exif data made me struggle: The Exif data Focal Length did indicate a value of 178 mm while the manual zoom was set to 200 mm. At a focal length of 80mm the recorded Exif Focal Length is 85 mm.

Information gathering began:

1. At the store where I purchased the combo no one ever detected this issue or was able to find a proper answer. (It is a world wide reputable pro shop)

2. As I passed by Wetzlar after that I went to the Tech Service to answer the question again. Their answer was more confusing: Manufacturing variances. But my, a focal length difference of around 12% to the indicated value I never will believe, especially not from Leica.

3. I went to my shop of trust and asked my question. No there was able to answer, but fortunately we could do a cross check with 2 different combos (2xSL, 2xR/L Adapter, 2x 80-200): Result: Every time 178 mm were recoded as Exif, despite if focussed to the narrow or going to infinity.

4. A member here in Leica forum reported, that his R 4/80-200 (ROM) in combination with the original R/M Adapter mounted to the M10 records 200 mm as 200 mm in Exif.

5. due to my misbelieve of production variances in focal length and the fact that on the M-System everything is indicated correct I tried to find out "a reason" in physics, but i failed regarding my ideas of "change of focal length" and came at least to the conclusion that the problem only can be the R/L-Adapter, which even after a firmware update did not transfer the "real zoom focal length" but still 178 mm.

6. Being so confused, I tried to redo a shot in hope to quite redo the scenery with the APO 90-280 which is the result of an exchange of the 4/80-200. I did get it enough to try to compare both focal lengths.

Original - indicated 178 at 200

each overlay was made with the 90-280 at 178 mm

and 200 mm.

Crops:

It seems that at 200 mm it fits better than at 178 mm so my question:

Why this - are there any needs to do that?

-- hide signature --

some lenses - some bodies

Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow