Help with choosing best AF settings for shooting graduation with 7dMkII

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
charles beasley Regular Member • Posts: 110
Help with choosing best AF settings for shooting graduation with 7dMkII

I have been shooting local university's graduations for a long time and have used the original 5D up until now. It's the 2 person grip and grin looking at the camera. I have always used back button focus and the center focus point, focusing on the presenter and then recomposing. He is always relatively in the same spot, and the grad can vary a bit. I have never trusted trying to focus on the grad knowing that the 5D isn't all that great focusing in low light. Using an 85mm and f/10 I have never really encountered a grad out of focus. I am always the first shooter and always have an assistant second shooter.

I now have the 7D MkII and am considering trying to focus on the grad. I have studied the manual and several youtube videos on the subject, but still need help deciding on which focus pattern to choose, so looking to you fine folks for your advice. I have a couple of weeks to play around with this before the graduation.

One of my motives for trying to move to a more simple way of doing this (simpler than center point focus, recompose) is in case my assistant doesn't show up and I have to recruit someone else at the last minute to help.

What I am thinking is to use the 4 point expansion and putting the center focus point at the far right of the middle group and one down from the top. From what I can tell that actually gives the focus point and then expands one up, one down and one to the left.

Thanking you in advance, here is a crude overlay of the focus points on one of the grad photos. I will be using a 50mm on the 7dii so the field of view should be about the same as the 5d/85mm.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Charles Beasley
www.charlesphotography.com

charles beasley's gear list:charles beasley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow