Will Nikon mirrorless take better advantage of DX size?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NCB Contributing Member • Posts: 824
Re: Nikon DX ML

trac63 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

The balance between manufacturing cost and performance isn't really relevant. The important ratio is between purchase price and performance. As well as the ratio of incremental cost and added performance. FX has got so cheap I really think it competes with higher end DX at this point. And Nikon doesn't have to invest anything besides some marketing to get people to move over to FX F/Z. APS-Z is a huge gamble that may or may not pay off.

FX is cheap?

That's news to me.

Can I go into a BestBuy and get a an FX DSLR for $500 like I can with the D5xxx?

The fact of the matter is that an FX sensor still adds hundreds of dollars to the manufacturing cost of a camera, and that cost is invariably passed on to the consumer.

For example, the D750 is still double the cost of a D7200.

When the D750 replacement is announced it will undoubtedly be double the price of a D7500.

Think that's the point. APS-C offers a different price, size/weight and performance mix to FF, one that attracts a lot of people. Manufacturers can cut costs with APS-C in a way which wouldn't look good with their "premium" FF offerings. For example, the Z6/Z7 have a superb EVF, a big selling point for the cameras. In APS-C they could offer a still good, but distinctly cheaper, EVF without attracting too much criticism.

I was looking at my rather nice 18-70 lens, which came with my old D80, last night. The diameter of the lens is about the same as the Z mount. So I don't think the size of the Z mount is an issue. Nikon could easily do a similar 18-70 Z kit lens for APS-C, probably lighter, shorter and with better optics. If the camera has IBIS they could also leave out lens VR. The camera could be polycarbonate. APS-C cameras can offer something different yet appealing.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow