Best 1 Lens for Travel with Kids. 16-35mm f/4 ?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bizmord Contributing Member • Posts: 862
Best 1 Lens for Travel with Kids. 16-35mm f/4 ?

I use Nikon D700 body and have had great results with just my 50mm 1.8 lens. I also shot with the 85mm 1.8, but realized that even though for portraits, 85mm produces "nicer" results, the 35mm difference makes it more difficult to frame a shot when kids/family is involved ... and not always standing still. Plus, lots of times I want to show more of the surroundings and 85mm and even 50mm don't give me that ability. (Example; taking a photo in front of a landmark)

I am now looking for a lens that I would use on trips to Europe and other travels, taking photos of family AND not always going crazy with shallow DOF. I want photos to show where we actually are.

Leaning towards the
Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G

My only questions are;

1) Will I still be able to produce a nice bokeh and somewhat blurry background if I wanted to with f/4 (not as shallow as true portraits would do with a 80-200mm lens).

2) If standing at least 10ft from the subject, would that be enough to avoid the "big head/nose, small ears" effect?

Thanks.

bizmord's gear list:bizmord's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +1 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow