***Mini-challenge #542*** Gigs

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 6,113
***Mini-challenge #542*** Gigs

The title of Mini-Challenge # 542 is Gigs and by this is meant music events, amateur or professional dramatics, dance and other stage or podium based performances at which you were either an audience member or even a performer - although I must warn participants that selfieswill have to be beyond stunning to stand a chance of a listing in the results.

Mini-Challenge begins today, 25th April 2019 at 16:00GMT, and ends next Thursday, 2nd May 2019 at 16:00GMT.

1. Submit a maximum of 3 Entries to win and/or as many Exhibits as you wish.

2. Photos must have been taken by you but can be from any camera, including cell phones, and may have been taken at any time.

3. There are no restrictions on processing or on composite shots - all are acceptable. It's the image that counts, not how it was produced. Post processing and modification can be as light as you like, all the way up to fully abstract or composite images.

4. Please state in the header of your post, or in the comments bar below each image, whether they are "Entry" or "Exhibit". Non-labelled submissions will be assumed to be Exhibits.

5. It's best to post all images using the "Reply to thread" button below this first post. This makes collating the entries and exhibits much easier, but images sometimes need to be posted in comments when sub-threads develop, to keep the sense of the conversation going, so I will hunt right through the posts looking for valid images.

6. At the end of this challenge, I will announce First, Second and Third places from the Entries in a separate RESULTS thread, and I may select some other submissions, entries or exhibits, for Honourable Mentions.

Grand Prize: The First Place winner becomes the host of the next challenge and has 3 days to begin it. The winner can respond to the challenge setter with a forum post or PM. If that individual doesn't respond in 3 days, or has to decline to serve, the Second Place winner becomes the next host. If that individual declines to serve, the Third Place winner becomes the next host.

Some samples...

A local concert in a small hall - 500 seats and, on this occasion, mediocre sound - the classic mistake, way too loud for such a small place.

The Robin Trower Band at The Apex, Bury St Edmunds,

A big concert in a large Hall, 5000+ people. Sound quality OK, but not stellar.

Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall.

And finally, several images from a huge concert in a stadium...

The Strolling Bones at Wembley - about 60,000 fans

The best rock band in the world.

An amazing spectacle.

For anyone who has not seen the Rolling Stones in a stadium - Go - do not miss any opportunity that comes your way - Sir Michael Jagger's recent heart issue clearly shows that the clock is ticking on your possibility of ever seeing them.

From easily the best repertoire of music in the Rock world, extending through the services of the finest touring production company the Rock Music industry has ever known, all the way down to the best live sound team in existence, a Strolling Bones concert is an astonishing and musically rewarding spectacle that has no equal - they don't even have close competitors. There are lots of bands that pull big audiences, and I've seen quite a few of them - but no one even comes close to the Stones.

We didn't get our tickets for 25th May 2018 until all the good places were sold, so we were 200 metres from the stage, and high up on the terraces, but the sound quality was astoundingly good - I designed audio systems for a living so I've seen and heard it all - this was way beyond domestic hi-fi , breathtaking, crystal clarity: as far from the rock-band-in-a-big-tin-can sound that most bands achieve in Wembley stadium as the earth is from the sun. Even the live camera footage on the four giant screen arrays was perfection - had you not been able to compare the screens with the stage to prove that it was live, you would have thought this was programme material that had spent months in an expensive Hollywood post-production suite.

You think I'm exaggerating? Go and see and hear for yourself.

Incidentally, The Stones are not by any means my favourite band, but their touring skills are beyond peer.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow