What are the best Value Canon lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,164
Re: What are the best Value Canon lenses?

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

hotdog321 wrote:

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

Well, I agree they're cheap. I own them and never use them, however.

My first EOS EF lenses were a trio of mid-range primes: 28/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8. It's a nice trio, with a decent "standard" focal range, reasonably bright maximum apertures, reasonable cost, and a perfectly manageable size and weight. With good copies across the trio, it was a nice set.

The problem for me was, however, that I would shortly also get an EF 28-70/2.8 L. I heard it often proclaimed to be like a "bag of primes". I was fortunate to get an excellent copy the first time, and it did, indeed, often cause the primes to remain in their bags.

It's been some years since I last made any major lens purchases (a 55-250 EFS STM refurb for $109 or an 18-135 STM IS from Craigslist for $180 doesn't earn the "major" label). But practically every project I do now has some video, and the old USM lenses -- even the L stuff -- just doesn't cut it these days. STM is fast and invisible on EFS systems, and I'm getting by with APS-C bodies for that kind of stuff right now. I suspect that when I am ready to invest in some full-frame lenses for video, I'll probably be looking the R system, something I'm not thrilled to do, but which may actually be more economical in the long run.

Great glass--that you need--is always worth owning; it lasts for decades and helps generate great photos. Cheap glass works in the short term, but generally gets shoved into a closet (or sold) later on.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow