Hig res in studio scenes

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
evan ts Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: Hig res in studio scenes

knickerhawk wrote:

evan ts wrote:

The hi-res takes 8 Bayer-shots (2 RGB-shots). The key point is, pixel size is still the same as a normal shot. When all shots are stacked together, pixels are overlapped. So we need a good algorithm to separate the information of overlapped pixels.

Yes, that's understood and implicit in my reference to "subsampling of each normal-sized pixel position." What you're not addressing is my point that the "good algorithm" you're referencing is applied in camera during the construction of the Bayer-style raw file, not later in the raw converter. Consider this: When the S1R generates a HiRes image does it output 8 individual/interim raw image files or just one? If it's the former, then you would be correct that the raw converter would have to have a built-in capability of handling the 8 samples per subpixel position. But in fact it's the latter, which means that the camera has already done the heavy algorithmic lifting for merging the subsamples into a specific R,G1,G2 or B value for each of the subpixels. This allows the raw converter of choice to simply see the raw file as a normal Bayer style RGGB raw file.

What is a good hi-res combination algorithm?
In theory, the yellow cell is the intersection of other two low-res pixels. However, camera actually generates the union of two low-res pixels. I think the ACR just takes the union value to produce hi-res image. That's why it looks so blurry.

If we want to get a real crisp, detailed hi-res image. Sharpening is not a good choice. The better choice is to exclude the green area for each yellow cell.

In order to achieve the goal, we have to process at least the data of 4 pixels of layer1 and 4 pixles of layer2 closed to the yellow cell. Of course, processing 9+9 or 16+16 pixels will be more precise. More source data, higher precision, more complex calculation and more inefficient.

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue. I don't know if I describe clearly enough above.

evan ts's gear list:evan ts's gear list
Canon EOS M Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow