Sigma APO TELE CONVERTER 1.4x EX DG

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
dlj Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: Sigma APO TELE CONVERTER 1.4x EX DG

Only have the 2X (I know, I know, but I tried it before buying and was impressed).

Mainly used it with the 50-150 EXII DC 2.8 HSM APO (non OS), but also borrowed a longer EX fixed tele to use with it once. On the zoom, when used with the SD14 resolution (and high crop factor), it delivered amazing results, equivalent to 515mm in 35mm, using F5.6 across the entire zoom range, which was quite tolerable. Both lenses were on Sigma's compatibility list.

Only downsides were higher vignetting at zoom extremes, and a tiny bit of distortion at widest focal length. Corners were less sharp, but similarly to how the lenses performed on their own (without the TC). Overall, quite good, and the vignetting was easily repaired. Biggest issue was that under high key+high contrast scenes (eg, dark branches against very bright sky) I sporadically got some CA, which was usually cleanly correctable. Not consistently or even frequently, but sometimes a bit severe.

I can do a test on the SD1M if you're interested, as to how it holds up to the lower crop and higher resolution of that body, which will not be as high as your quattro, but might be informative. Considering Sigma doesn't promote them like they did before, I'm guessing they either don't hold up to high res as much as before, or as someone mentioned, perhaps they have a global vision version due soon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow