Sony RX100 VA vs VI

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: Sony RX100 VA vs VI

SeeTheWorld wrote:

jmagbita wrote:

Greetings All!
I've read the many threads regarding the difference between these two models, but have two very specific scenarios to compare.

As for my type of photography, mainly travel.

I love wide angle type shots that show entire spaces, think "travel magazine" type shots that clearly show where one is. i.e. shots in front of the Louvre, Piccadilly Circus, inside the St. Peter's in the Vatican or any other iconic location.

I also enjoy evening type shots of the same locations and also interior spaces.

This makes me think definitely the RX100VA would be the obvious choice between the two, but I've come across a few posts wherein users say the 1.8 of the VA is marginally better than the 2.8 of the VI. Also, I read the pop up lens of the VI is much greater than the VA. Another post mentions the ergonomics of the VI is better than the VA. (I thought it was the same body and buttons?)

With all that said, I'm still confused as to which model to buy. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm new to the VI or M6, as it just arrived yesterday. The body seems the same as my M4, except the lens seems to project a tad more in "off" in the M6 than in the M4. It still fits in the back pocket of my jeans. On the M4, I had the optional grip and that made handling much more solid.

Unfortunately, I offered my M4 to a nephew thinking the M6 was the same as the M4, only with a zoom. It's not because of the slower lens. People who post here, who's knowledge I admire, say the difference in the lens is negligible. After watching countless YouTube vids on the topic, and taking photos in the shade yesterday afternoon, I find that I respectfully disagree and wish I'd held on to my M4.

Specifically what issue are you being in shade? What mode? What shutter speed? What ISO?

I have other cameras but have never taken a photo with the RX100M6 in low light & thought "This image is unusable. I wish I had an extra stop of light & shorter zoom range." I cannot emphasise enough how great the extra 70-200mm zoom is not just as a telephoto to make far objects closer but in superior framing & especially portraits & macro.

Because I also have the RX10M3 with the 600 mm reach, I may exchange this M6 for the M5a. I tend to take the same type of travel photos as you do, so the faster lens with less zoom will be more practical. I use the longer zooms for wildlife and the 600mm of the RX10M3 is more useful for wildlife. I wouldn't need to carry both lenses at the same time because the uses are so different.

Until you have had 24-200mm FF equivalent in your pocket you really don't appreciate that zoom range. The image quality is identical to the RX10M3 & RX10M4 but it fits in your pocket.

The RX10M3/4 & RX100M5A/6 don't really complement one another as if you are carrying the vastly bigger RX10 then there is no point having the RX100M6 in your pocket. You will carry one or the other & in my case 90% of the time it's the RX100M6 because of the 200mm reach. I had an RX100M5A & aside from the really irritating EVF the lack of reach was really limiting.

On the other hand, the touch screen focus is helpful to me. I'm one who panics a little when having to make adjustments quickly. I lose shots. So, the touch screen focus would come in handy. Too bad Sony didn't also put it on the 5a.

I always use the EVF & hate the rear screen for framing so I have the touch screen switched off as my nose kept moving the focus point.

nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow