Are Monolights/Strobes Compatible With Any Camera?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,662
Yes, but no TTL

Very short answer: yes, but any TTL compatibility is lost.

I invested in the Godox X system, which offers both speedlights and monolights with built-in radio trigger receivers and trigger transmitters that can control power and other parameters of the connected flashes.

There are TTL enabled flashes and manual flashes, and I chose the TTL versions, which I sometimes use on the speedlights, but have only once used on a monolight. These were all Canon compatible.

I recently happened to get a Sony RX100M2 and found the transmitter for my Canon camera can control the flashes (both monolights and speedlights) perfectly well in manual mode when mounted on the Sony.

In other words: as long as you stay in manual mode, the monolights are compatible and so is the transmitter. As for HSS, I must admit I have not yet had any use for it, so I can't comment on it.

Godox warranty is nonexistent, but if you are in the USA, Adorama sells Godox rebranded as Flashpoint with warranty.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow