Will Nikon mirrorless take better advantage of DX size?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,059
Re: Nikon DX ML

trac63 wrote:

NCB wrote:

Nikon interviewed by DPR at CP19+ : "Users have said to us that they'd like to see DX mirrorless .... and we listen to our users".

Nikon will do DX mirrorless. Guaranteed. Nikon's biggest cash cow is D3xxx. They need to compete in DX, and sticking with just DSLRs will no longer do it.

They will, probably already have, put a lot of thought to this, and will try to hit the button in the same way the ff Z stuff has.

I agree with this.

Mirrorless APS-C is the sweet spot for manufacturing cost vs performance.

The last major technical hurdle for mirrorless was the AF, but even that is good enough for the vast majority of shooters now.

If Nikon were to build a mirrorless camera like my Samsung NX500, I would be all over it.

The balance between manufacturing cost and performance isn't really relevant. The important ratio is between purchase price and performance. As well as the ratio of incremental cost and added performance. FX has got so cheap I really think it competes with higher end DX at this point. And Nikon doesn't have to invest anything besides some marketing to get people to move over to FX F/Z. APS-Z is a huge gamble that may or may not pay off.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow