Buying Advice

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ScraggyMop New Member • Posts: 2
Buying Advice

I am looking for a new camera and I've done a fair bit of research but people on here know their cameras so I wanted to ask this question to see if there's any camera I've missed. Please suggest which camera and/or lens you think I should buy. I currently shoot on a Nikon DX DSLR but I'm a competent photographer who regularly uses manual mode.

My DSLR is great for when photography is the purpose of my day e.g. going to a football match to shoot sports or taking a hike just for the landscape shot at the end. I would however like to carry a camera on me at all times and so I'm looking for something different. I would say my priorities for this new camera, in order of importance, are:

- Small size: I'm carrying this around all the time

- Some form of image stabilization: to allow me to use slower shutter speeds in low light; ideally in body

- Viewfinder: I hate using the LCD

- Swivel Screen: Coz I want to be in some of my photos (Selfies)

- In camera RAW conversion: I shoot RAW coz I like the exposure flexibility in post but that requires me to convert a jpeg in camera if I want to post on social media on the fly

- Not a DSLR: stick with mirrorless or compact

- As lower price as you can: that means don't suggest a Leica however nice they seem

If it was an ILC, then I would like to be able to purchase:

- A telephoto superzoom e.g. 70-300mm FF Eqv for improptu wildlife and sports. [I could live with not having these focal lengths available; this lens will not be kept on the camera so physical size is not important]

- A normal prime e.g. 50mm FF Eqv as a carry around lens to live on the body

- A fast wide/normal prime e.g. 30mm FF Eqv for use taking candid portraits and maybe a selfie of two [I like my bokeh enought that, to a degree, I will sacrifice size for it; This is by far and away the most important focal length for me]

If was to be a compact camera, I'd want that 30mm FF Eqv covered for sure and any more on the telephoto end is a bonus

So far, I've looked at the following camera/lens combos

Micro four-thirds

Olympus Pen-F: It ticks the boxes for IS & lens choice and its good enough on size

In terms of lenses I'd likely purchase the Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm f/4-5.8 Mega OIS to cover most focal lengths. I'm going to take a further look at Olympus lens here. (Ik that the in lens stabilisation won't work with the Olympus body but it'd have IBIS so...)

I'd also purchase the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH to be my portraits lens. The thing is, I'm worried how great the f/1.7 bokeh will be on a MFT body. I'd like to be able to achieve the same bokeh as a f2.8 FF lens ideally.

Compact

Sony RX1

Its a non-ILC camera so I'm stuck with the 35mm focal length but I can live with that. I'd appreciate the full frame sensor as well as the f/2 aperture.

My reservations are the lack of IS, the lack of a veiwfinder, the non swivel screen and that to my mind it's essentially an expensive point and shoot so how durable will it really be (I'm carrying this everyday).

Sony RX100

As a compact this seems to be about as good as it gets (at a reasonable price point) and the various versions have covered most features but I'm cautious coz of the point and shoot nature of the camera and due to its very lacking bokeh

Ricoh GR series

These looked good but unless you know otherwise I find the bokeh lacking a bit

Fuji X100F

Remarkably I don't like the styling of this camera

I haven't had the chance to look at Sony or Fuji APS-C ILCs nor Canon M series so if you know of a small one, with a small enough lens then let me know

Let me know if you have heard of a camera that fits my needs or if I've assessed one of these ones poorly.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow