E-M1X and Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm Images

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,662
Re: Any metal shavings?

Gregm61 wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

After waffling back & forth about this lens, and using a combination of the 40-150mm f2.8, with and without the 1.4X TC and 300mm f4 as companions to the 12-100 but still wanting more reach, I finally caved yesterday morning, drove over to Competitive Camera, who happened to have a copy of the Panasonic -Leica in stock, tried it out on my E-M1X and walked out of the store with it.

The whole end-game was having as "complete" a system as I can comfortably carry in my most comfortable bag to tote, the Think Tank Turnstyle 20, Version 2. That my third lens is the 7-14mm f2.8 creates the multi-lens for tele shooting conundrum; do I just carry the 40-150mm f2.8, with the TC in the accessory area, or the 12-100mm f4 and 300mm f4 (which BTW does fit and carry great in the Turnstyle bag), opting to get as "long" as 150mm by shooting the 12-100 at 100mm and doing a 50% crop.

One things for sure, having seen images of the upcoming Olympus 150-400mm f4.5 next to the Panasonic-Leica, that's going to be one monster of a lens, never mind what the cost is going to be. The 100-400 PL fits in the Turnstyle 20 along with the 12-100mm f4 and 7-14mm f2.8 perfectly. This morning I did my 9+ mile hike around White Rock Lake and then 2+hours at the Arboretum with the E-M1X and 3-lens filled Turnstyle 20 in tow and it was great.

About the mechanics, and I believe I've read every possible comment about how this lens works/doesn't work on some Olympus bodies. Hell, the Panasonic rear lens cap was/is even stiff coming off the back mount. The tolerances are quite tight, but the lens does, smoothly mount on and off both my E-M1X and E-M1 Mark II bodies. There's certainly not going to be any water intrusion at the body/lens connection. The zoom ring, with the zoom lock fulled released, is fine. It is not as buttery smooth and the 12-100 f4 or 40-150mm f2.8 M. Zuikos, but I like it.

Did you check to make sure the 100-400 is not leaving metal shavings in the body? That was one of my concerns, whether this lens was future proof for Oly bodies.

The mounting on my E-M1 Mark II and E-M1X is tighter than mounting any M. Zuiko, but very smooth. It’s definitely not leaving anything behind.

Buying a lens that will fit in your bag? That's a new one....

....and important. If I can’t carry the outfit comfortably, I would not carry it at all. The first full day I hiked with the new setup for over 10 miles so I’m good. I had no good option (lord knows I’ve tried enough) for comfortably carrying an outfit that included the 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4. The 100-400 is the only higher-end practical solution that gets you that long.

Now you have one less reason for BAS - bag acquisition syndrome.

Horrible malady. I own as many bags as I have all bodies and lenses.

One can never have too many bags......or lenses.

Glad you're enjoying the lens and feel you can live with its quirks. That's what's important.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow