Hydra Greece with V1 and new to me 70-300 CX

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,308
Re: Hydra Greece with V1 and new to me 70-300 CX

RedVespa wrote:

Miss tilly wrote:

Your first picture is a beautiful scene, however, if I am honest it seems a bit flat, lacking in dynamic range and/or contrast. It might be my screen but that is how I see it. Hope you do not mind my honest opinion. Thank you for posting your pictures

regards

Gary.

Thanks for feedback. Always appreciated to have more eyes.

I had just switched to using jpeg out of camera instead of RAW as my workflow a little muddled when travelling. Can I blame that for the flatness of the wall?

I always shoot RAW+JPG fine as storage media is cheap (and cheap insurance if you have to fix something -- I'm always too much of a stickler for details). Later, if the JPG turns out the way I expect, I'll delete the RAW files only when I'm sure I won't need them.

That said, I love black-and white, and contrast control, grain, etc. can be achieved easily with the V1 in-camera or with its files. The door photo is beautiful! A good B&W conversion would do wonders, and I'm sure you've tried that already.

Quick online posts are just that, so I think they're just fine for our purposes. I'd be happy to see some "final" edits as well. (I just don't usually post those myself because I've had a few photos stolen and misused on the Internet.  There are some mighty fine photographers here -- post some crops and pixel-peep if you want -- I'm a little over-cautious at times.)

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow