Olympus Workspace extreme JPEG Compression.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,522
Olympus Workspace extreme JPEG Compression.

I inadvertantly posted this over in the Olympus SLR forum so have copied it over here. I have found some disturbing (to me) heavy handed (50%) compressing of my Large Super Fine jpeg files in Olympus Workspace and am looking for some help in circumventing the issue, if possible

Some background.

I have been shooting Olympus for about 5 years now and originally only shot Raw converted with Adobe Camera Raw in Lightroom (holdover from my Canon days), but soon went to Raw + Large Super Fine JPEGS, because I found the LSF JPEGS were actually better than the ACR converted .orf files. I than started using Olympus Viewer 3 (and now Workspace) to give me better .orf conversions and that is where I am today........but I still want to use the LSF JPEGS on occasion.

I like using WS for my initial culling of the images and selecting both the Raws for conversion to the 16 bit tiff files, and retaining the original LSF .jpg files, both for further editing in Lightromm or Photoshop (I don't make any adjustments in WS). The problem is that once I open the .orf and .jpg files in WS those LSF JPEGS are reduced from 10mb to about 5mb. Even if I try to just copy them to another folder in WS the damage has already been done at the point of opening them. There is a new Superfine option for the .jpg export but it still exports the files at about a 50% compression.

I'm hoping someone can give me a hint as to how to retain the LSF jpegs at their original size within WS or some other work around to get where I need to be.

BTW....not interested in any other software like DXO, etc.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow