Likes on good photography vs selfies

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scythwolf New Member • Posts: 5
Likes on good photography vs selfies

Hi!

First post and a philosophical or strange question on mind: Why are you doing photography and editing if it is not your (main) job?

The reason I ask is: I took some picture of a female friend. She asked me if I could take some pictures of her since a friend of us took some nice nude photos and all around her were like: Uh, so awesome.

I agreed but was very suspicious that a lot of things could go wrong. This is why I asked her to send me some pictures - like a guideline so both of us would know what we could achieve. I saw what she did send me and showed her some of my own portfolio as an example. She said that was cool and we did the shooting and she kinda liked it until friends told her that they had no effect like the nude pictures. I was... shocked I'd say since I really tried to nail down what she wanted to achieve.

This is just an example for all the things I often have problems with when it comes to photography. Just take good photos and compare them to selfies. I am allways wondering why the selfies get so much more attantion and likes. Do you know why? Is more jealousy involved when it comes to professional photography?

I am allways wondering. A colleague of mine fe. took some great pictures from a girl. There are other pictures there also and selfies. The ones with some bad lighting and the selfies are usually way better off the really well done (not only those of my friend).

My main issue is - I believe - that I want to know how good a picture really is coming from a professional / crafty point of view. Are there groups where you have to apply to be let in? Perhaps that would help me a lot... Well... Thanks for your responses!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow