Infant Indoor Photos - Do I need a flash?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
5inn Junior Member • Posts: 28
Infant Indoor Photos - Do I need a flash?

I've recently picked up an X-T20 paired with the 18-55 'kit' lens. I haven't had it long but have been happy with both the camera and the lens. One of the things I have been/will be taking photos of is our newborn. Many of the times these photos are indoors at our house, and while I do my best with lighting (turn on all the lights, open shades all the way etc), sometimes I just can't get quite enough for it to feel/seem good enough. These impromptu mini-photo shoots take place randomly, not always when the light is perfectly diffused through a near-by window.

I've had DSLRs/'nicer' cameras for the better part of 10 years now. I understand most things about photography. I've had zooms and primes, but never a flash. Is now the time? I'm not sure what the best approach is to fixing the light problem. I do plan on getting a fast prime soon, though am still trying to figure out what focal length I prefer. The built-in flash leaves a lot to be desired as it's very direct and harsh. Clearly some sort of bounced light would be better. Is a small Godox 350 the way to go (I've seen this one recommended the most)? Or maybe a small plug-in LED light that I could set-up when these mini-shoots occur?

Looking for some guidance.

Thanks,

5inn's gear list:5inn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow