Focus question and advice please!

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,021
Re: Focus question and advice please!

mtakeda wrote:

Thank you to post very helpful images. To my eyes both images look sharp. The points I getting from this is that in relation to my initial image

1. Far away focus point is not problem.

2. F16 was not severely problematic. But I will try to use wider aperture in the future with DOF calculator.

3. The problem was my choice of lens focal length? I should have used wider side and crop it at

My journey to obtaining max sharpness is rather confusing and stressful but thanks to your, other experts’ kind help I feel getting close to the destination.

A DoF calculator assumes hyperfocal distances. My problem with hyperfocal has always been estimating distances. I am not good with that. Also, hyperfocal puts priority on sharp focus of close objects. My compromise with hyperfocal is to shoot test shots in the field.

The Merklinger technique (far away focus as you put it) renders distant objects sharpest which is my preference.

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow