Sony A7RII Sigma 16mm vs. Huawei P30 Pro

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
melodika New Member • Posts: 15
Sony A7RII Sigma 16mm vs. Huawei P30 Pro

I did a little experiment to see how the P30 Pro sensor actually performs in good light. For this comparison I used my A7RII with Sigma 16mm F 1.4 lens which is very sharp at f/5.0.

Equipment and exif info:

• Sony A7RII + Sigma 16mm F 1.4 DC DN 1/100 sec f/5.0 ISO 100, shot in APS-C crop mode (18 mp)
  • P30 Pro 1/640 sec f/1.6 ISO 50, shot in RAW (40mp output)
  • P30 Pro on the left

Both files processed in Lightroom, for Huawei custom color profile used as well as Cornerfix profile to correct vignetting and color cast. Both resized in PS to 12 mp and compared side by side. Shooting conditions are not exactly same, but close enough to compare detail rendering.

One thing I noticed that with Huawei you need to be careful with focusing because the fast f/1.6. aperture equals narrow focal plane. With this test shot I focused on the tree trunk. With A7RII and Sigma 16mm at f/5.0 everything is tack sharp.

I think this comparison shows that once you nail the focus with P30 Pro it really does wonderfully well considering it's a smartphone. Of course low light scenario would be a different story.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow