Sigma MC-11 : Canon EF to Sony A7R II compatibility report.

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alpshiker Regular Member • Posts: 443
Sigma MC-11 : Canon EF to Sony A7R II compatibility report.

We had a discussion in this other thread about the best adapter solutions to date for Sony A7r II. I was suggested to try the Sigma MC-11 before resorting to more costly solutions. I received the adapter today, and here is my report. I make it another thread for the sake of the search engines, since the title of the older thread is misleading.

The A7R II came with FW 4.0

The MC-11 has FW 1.20. I know that there is a newer firmware, but I hesitate replacing a recipe that works. Maybe at a later date. This late build has no longer the green diode that I have seen in some reviews. It feels solid, fit is tight but not exceedingly.

My L lenses are over ten years old versions, with the exception of the 4.0/ 16-35 which replaced a f2.8 I had before.

I can report the following after fitting the lenses and making a quick assessment of the usability of the AF.

EF-L 4.0/16-35mm: Almost on par with Canon 1Ds3.

EF-L 4.0/ 24-105mm M1 : Almost native speed.

EF-L 1.4/ 35mm: Almost native speed, even in low light.

EF 1.4/ 50mm (non-L) : Problem with that one. The AF does not react at all and the lighting informations seem inaccurate (dark image). It eventually became brighter when I switched the AF off, but then the whole camera froze. Caution needs to be applied as other user Zebebito reported damage to his lens due to an adapter (Commlite?): AF out of order even on Canon. I have an older adapter branded "King" on which the lens works fine when the AF is switched off (AF continually hunts).

EF 2.4/ 50mm macro (non-L) : Works very well, a good surprise.

EF 1.8/ 85mm (non-L) : Almost native speed.

EF-L 1.2/ 85mm M1: Incremental, but fast and precise, even in low light. That was a very good surprise! That lens is not very fast on Canon either due to the heavy glass.

EF-L 2.0/ 135mm and 1,4x II extender. Very fast, with and without the extender. Almost native speed. Good in low light too. It hunts a bit when you change from close to far, but once registered at the right average distance range, it is fast.

EF-L 4.5-5.6/ 100-400 M1 : Takes a whole second to focus incrementally, but works surprisingly well when there is enough light and the subject has enough detail. Works on the lens's whole range.

I have not tested continuous AF yet.

Bottom line is that due to its compatibility with most of my lenses and speedy AF, this adapter is a very useful addition to my new Sony A7r II. I can now consider replacing the gigantic 1Ds3 with a much lighter body for photographing people (I used the Sony A7R so far for stills and landscape). I thank the contributors who leaned me towards that choice, instead of the cheaper brand!

Sony a7R Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow