a7iii Problems: Any Advice Please?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DeneaB New Member • Posts: 1
a7iii Problems: Any Advice Please?

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster - thank you all for the great info and chats that you post on here, I've learned so much from you.

I bought an a7iii in Canada last December before starting a pretty intensive short film project spanning many countries. For the first few months the camera worked great, then it started to have problems in about February, and the problems just kept coming.

• The camera turns on about 3/5 times. In order to get it to turn on you need to remove and replace the battery before switching it on. (FYI - Both batteries are Sony native, bought from the same store where we got the camera)
  • The image 'jumps' or 'glitches' while filming. The entire frame seems to shift on its own, this has gotten worse. I've uploaded an unlisted clip into YouTube so you can see what I mean. (BTW it is a little shaky because it's hand-held, it's shot without OS because having the OS on makes it do this even more often!) EXAMPLE: https://youtu.be/rBJ4Ibb237o
  • The auto focus is constantly 'hunting' and pushing in and out on the image
  • The light flickers really badly in S&Q / slow motion mode
  • On the 24-70mm the auto focus is really loud and 'crunchy'

I took the camera to Sony Pro in LA last month and they said that some hardware was faulty and that they replaced some pieces of it. But yet these problems still exist just as badly as before.

I'm using the a7iii with a Sigma 50mm (prime) f1.4 and a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 with the MC-11 adaptor. I also went to Sigma in LA and they confirmed the lenses were in good order and updated, etc.

I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this or has any suggestions about what to do? I've asked Sony and the guy I bought the camera from and they tell me to send it back to Canada and buy a new one in the meantime  *sigh* which obviously isnot a good option.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Denea

DeneaB's gear list:DeneaB's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 Art Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 (L-mount)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow