E-M1X and Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm Images

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,657
E-M1X and Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm Images

After waffling back & forth about this lens, and using a combination of the 40-150mm f2.8, with and without the 1.4X TC and 300mm f4 as companions to the 12-100 but still wanting more reach, I finally caved yesterday morning, drove over to Competitive Camera, who happened to have a copy of the Panasonic -Leica in stock, tried it out on my E-M1X and walked out of the store with it.

The whole end-game was having as "complete" a system as I can comfortably carry in my most comfortable bag to tote, the Think Tank Turnstyle 20, Version 2. That my third lens is the 7-14mm f2.8 creates the multi-lens for tele shooting conundrum; do I just carry the 40-150mm f2.8, with the TC in the accessory area, or the 12-100mm f4 and 300mm f4 (which BTW does fit and carry great in the Turnstyle bag), opting to get as "long" as 150mm by shooting the 12-100 at 100mm and doing a 50% crop.

One things for sure, having seen images of the upcoming Olympus 150-400mm f4.5 next to the Panasonic-Leica, that's going to be one monster of a lens, never mind what the cost is going to be. The 100-400 PL fits in the Turnstyle 20 along with the 12-100mm f4 and 7-14mm f2.8 perfectly. This morning I did my 9+ mile hike around White Rock Lake and then 2+hours at the Arboretum with the E-M1X and 3-lens filled Turnstyle 20 in tow and it was great.

Bottom line here....the convenience of a high-quality 100-400mm zoom, for me, trumps the outstanding, but limited "range" of the 300mm f4. I even packed the two Kenko extension tubes and gave them a spin with the E-M1X and 100-400 and, as I figured, it worked great to get in closer than the closest focus distance possible using just the lens.

About the mechanics, and I believe I've read every possible comment about how this lens works/doesn't work on some Olympus bodies. Hell, the Panasonic rear lens cap was/is even stiff coming off the back mount. The tolerances are quite tight, but the lens does, smoothly mount on and off both my E-M1X and E-M1 Mark II bodies. There's certainly not going to be any water intrusion at the body/lens connection. The zoom ring, with the zoom lock fulled released, is fine. It is not as buttery smooth and the 12-100 f4 or 40-150mm f2.8 M. Zuikos, but I like it. I also like the screw-attached hood extension, when I attached and now the lens can sit in the bag, face down with no front cap on as one less action when changing lenses.

Swapping between the Panny 100-400 and the 12-100mm f4 M. Zuiko was interesting. I do not have my camera set to lens IS priority since I utilize the dual IS of the 12-100, Stabilization is set to Auto, but as I swapped between the 12-100 and 100-400 the camera turned in-camera IS off when the Panny lens was on, then reverted back to Auto IS when I re-mounted the 12-100. Neat. The one swap where I needed to take care and turn in-camera IS back on was when moving from the 100-400 to the 7-14mm f2.8 as the E-M1X did not turn in-camera IS back on when making that lens change.

What is going to take some extended use to get used to is, the different direction the Panasonic zoom lens ring works. I've used the original 12-35 and 35-100mm f2.8 Panasonic lenses as well as the 7-14mm f4 in the distant past with an E-M5 so it's not like it's a totally new experience for me, but it has been a while.

A few shots as I was testing the lens out on the walk around the lake this morning. I am no "birder", and have a lot of work that needs to be done on that part (birds in flight) of my photography. These were all captured raw and processed in Adobe Camera raw since the E-M1X is not yet supported by DXO in Photo Lab 2. I anticipate re-processing a lot of these files, especially higher ISO shots, in DXO and expect the results will be much better. This lens is a keeper. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

This guy, complete with meal in-hand, was quite far off. This is around a 35-40% crop of the 400mm image.

Used one of the Kenko tubes here.

Kenko tube utilized here to get closer than the lens could on its' own.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +30 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow