European Tour - Part 1 - Amsterdam

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
kelstertx Veteran Member • Posts: 4,794
Re: Aperture....

Martin Ocando wrote:

tedolf wrote:

One of the things I find interesting in the travel photo's above is that almost everything is shot at f/5.6 or above (only one at f/3.5). This is my experience too (except for indoor photography where a small fast prime usually works).

So why buy/ bring heavy fast zoom lenses for travel?

TEdolph

Well, I didn't care too much about settings, so I used P mode most of the time, and lots of compensation when needed. The fast zooms come handy when things get darker particularly in museums.

That's something I've often wondered... in good light, the camera's P mode can use almost any aperture it wants, and compensate with the huge range of shutter speeds. Since the corrections are programmed into firmware for each lens, I would have thought that they'd include sharpness curves in the firmware too, so the camera would pick sharper apertures.

For the 12-40/2.8, it seems to peak at f4 for most focal lengths, and f5.6 at 40mm. I don't think it should ever be picking f7.1 unless there's a specific need based on depth of field.

Thoughts?

-Kelly

kelstertx's gear list:kelstertx's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow