The Winner Of the Anti-Triangle Discussion And Your New King Is.....

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SmilerGrogan Regular Member • Posts: 468
The Winner Of the Anti-Triangle Discussion And Your New King Is.....

When I posted my challenge to provide an alternative to the much-abused exposure triangle, I was sincerely hoping for someone to provide a workable alternate method.

Happily, more than one person outlined his technique but since there can only be one winner, the honor goes to the first person who posted.

I declare a participant named Ysarex as the winner and certify that his method is the only official and allowable non-triangle method to be used, discussed, or taught to beginners.

I arrive at the scene and evaluate the lighting. That gives me a good idea of how much I'll be able to expose beyond the camera's internal meter reading. I keep my meter set to either average or spot.

I use the live histogram display on my camera (WB set to unity) as well as the "blinkies" to determine a sensor saturation exposure. (The ISO is set to and left at base and otherwise ignored. It gives my meter a starting place from which I always expose more). My most common exposure is +1.3 above the meter reading and my next most common exposure is +1.7 above the meter reading.

I set an f/stop to render the DOF I desire and if I can hand hold the shot (shutter speed) then I do, otherwise I set up my tripod. If I have a DOF/motion rendition conflict I can usually strike a compromise.

Click.

I do not teach my students to do the above although I do explain to them why I work that way.

Thank you all for your hard work.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow