Focus question and advice please!

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,030
Re: Focus question and advice please!

mtakeda wrote:

You gave me advice which I felt the most valuable and helpful. After I read it more than three times I understand the limitation of the focal distance such as 63mm and the way to go around it. I will start to use DOF calculator from now on. Thanks again.

I'm just saying that a DoF calculator will be helpful until you get used to the DoF equivalencies.

I'm on a photo trip right now and thinking about this thread, I shot these examples.

The focus point was placed on the far mountains and I made a test shot. At f22,  everything is in acceptable focus front/back. This particular image has not been treated with deconvolution sharpening because, well, I am on vacation and I want to get on with it.

I make another test shot where I place the focus point on the hill in the mid ground instead of the far mountains and open up the aperture to f16. Everything on the zoomed LCD looked to be in acceptable focus. You could continue this testing to f11 or f8 etc. Took 5 minutes.

The agave in the foreground was 10 feet away (I stepped it off).

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow