Lens for Museum

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,676
Re: Lens for Museum

Paul Barnard wrote:

Wide aperture is always a benefit indoors but is actually less important with the modern Sony sensors. If you are looking for 'museum quality' images then wide and fast and a truck full of lighting gear is needed. If you are looking to have images to remember visits you probably have the equipment you need already.

+1.

You may well have what you need already. Let the a serious need for something else present itself, before spending money. Gear feels double as heavy in the bag, when you feel you could have done well enough without it.

A few practical considerations on the subject of going to a museum with a camera:

In museums more often that not you are not allowed to bring bags much larger than womens handbags, so often you will have to do with a the camera with a lens mounted and an extra lens in a pocket while you leave the bag with the rest of the gear in a safety box. My experience is that I can just about take my Billingham Hadley Small with me into museums but not the not much larger Domke F-6. Especially backpacks are a no go in most museums.

When going to museums, I use a Leica Summicron M 35/2.0 and a CV 15/4.5 ver. III (or a Leica WATE). Sometimes if I am to photograph paintings on a wall I bring a Summicron 59/2.0 instead of the 35mm because it's easier to control perspective distorsion with the longer focal length and thus it necessitates less work in PP.

The small size of these lenses coupled with the silent shutter means I can shoot almost unnoticed without distracting other visitors. Big lenses attract more attention and may even be intimidating to some. I rarely use longer focal lengths than 50mm because they need more distance to the object. Then other visitors will often get between me and the object and I consider asking them to step aside to be out of the question. They paid for their entrance ticket just like you did and they have just as much right to be there and enjoy the exhibition as you have. IMHO, you must be as unobtrusive as possible and shoot your pictures when the opportunity presents itself.

-- hide signature --

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow