M6 + 100-400mmL II - Beach, Burger & Bats (PICS)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 6,070
M6 + 100-400mmL II - Beach, Burger & Bats (PICS)

iPhone6S - view from my beachside table at lunch this week.

I have a house that overlooks this beach (above) and was spending time there on the weekend with family.  There's a quite affordable cafe on the beach that has some fresh local food and I ordered their $22 truffle-infused cheeseburger - since I'd spent the last week eating fish and was over it. Since their parent restaurant (a more formal restaurant upstairs, above the cafe) follows me on Instagram I thought I'd snap a shot of their cheeseburger to post.  Unfortunately, it's Autumn here right now so the sun was behind the dish. I used a tiny flashlight to illuminate the shadowed side of the burger.  It wasn't ideal but I had intended to be shooting on the water without a flash that day. I didn't think to bring a wider lens with me so I had to make do with my iPhone.
There's nothing too special about any of these pictures.  They're taken in JPEG and a HOYA 77mm Circular Polarizer and HOYA Pro1 UV filter was used for the beach and burger shots.  I had a monopod on the camera as well.  Heck, even the burger picture isn't particularly good.  It was simply a quick 'foodie shot' and I'm just playing with the lens on the M6 to refresh myself with it before swapping back to the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens again.

iPhone6S - A less appetizing view - note the distortion of the Coke glass

EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens
Truffle Infused Wagyu Beef burger with Black Jack Cheddar & seasoned fries

I also took the chance to take some pictures with the long 100-400mmL II lens from my location at the cafe balcony.  Considering how far away some of the subjects were, it was good to get some decent results from the M6 with this larger lens combo.  I was also glad to see that the odd Bokeh defects I'd experiences in 2017 with this same lens (which appears to be caused by this lens' reputed sensitivity to cheap filters) were not occurring in any of the images I took this week.

EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens - Seagulls + Sparkles

EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens - Waveboard Rider #1

EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens - Waveboard Rider #2

Fruit Bats
Before removing this lens I wanted to take a few pictures of the local Bat colony.  These are the Grey-Headed Flying Fox and they have a colony of about 1.3 million individuals just 4 km from my house.  They are loud, smelly and very annoying.  I can't sleep when they're in the trees near my house.  I've shot them before with DLSRs but not the M6.  I took a few pictures and then headed home again.
These bats are very effective pollinators so they serve a purpose, even if some consider them a pest.  Each and every night they fly hundreds of kilometers to the North to get to the native plants and fruit orchards where the apples and other fruits are grown.  The farmers there have to cover their produce with large mesh sheets so I'm not sure what the bats are eating exactly.  They're big animals too.  The bodies are a little smaller than an adult cat.  Their outstretched wings (on this colony) are about 3 to 4 feet wide on the adults.  I chose not to lay on my back under the trees this time.  One of the reasons they smell so bad is because they urinate on themselves to keep their daytime temperature down.

EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens - smelly, noisy monsters

EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens - Grey Headed Flying Foxes

EOS M6 + EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens - a captive juvenile

I thought the results with this lens were acceptable for informal shooting over the weekend. This is a lens that was designed for Full Frame sensors and it does produce noticeably stronger and much smoother Bokeh with a FF camera.  But on the EOS M models with DPAF, it's reliable and predictable with a high rate of keepers.  Servo AF works well with this lens.  But I don't recommend it with older EOS M cameras without the new DPAF sensor.  The last shot (just above) of the young bat in rehabilitation was shot in shadow at sunset with ISO 3200 so I've applied Noise Reduction to eliminate the grain in that image.
--
Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +17 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow