Really loving the 7artisans 55mm f/1.4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EscVelocity New Member • Posts: 6
Really loving the 7artisans 55mm f/1.4

After some advice in a previous thread, I decided to add the 7artisans 55mm f/1.4 to my collection (as well as the Canon 22mm f/2, which arrives today). I grabbed it to have some forced practice will manual everything, to add a very different focal length than the 22mm, and because it was a cheap way to have something to play with.

A recent school trip (I'm a teacher) was my first chance to give my new M50 a workout. I figured I would mostly use the Canon 18-150mm, but brought the 55mm along to play with as well.

I ended up spending almost the entire time shooting with the 55mm. I suspect I just need more practice with it, but kind of hard a hard time with the 18-150mm. I just wasn't happy with the image quality and overall outcome of my shots, something I plan to post about in the future once I've focused a little more on working with it specifically.

The 55mm, on the other hand, blew me away. Great shots of people, with really nice color, quick capture, and at one point in a rather dimly lit area no problem capturing people participating in a Taiwanese aboriginal dance (with the 18-150mm I had to boost the ISO up enough to not be happy with the level of noise when in the same shooting environment).

I enjoyed using the 55mm so much that I'm now tempted to look into a manual 35mm. I know 7artisans makes one, but the reviews I've seen are not as good as those for the 55mm, with a discussion of excessive smearing and chromatic aberration along edges and corners, so I may look into alternatives and see if they are better options. I still plan to pick up the Canon 32mm someday, but it is expensive enough that it will not be any time soon (I'm thinking certainly not before the end of the year, possibly longer), so if I can find something highly affordable in the meantime I may jump on it.

I was also surprised at how few shots I could take in high-speed continuous mode (compared to the PowerShot G16 I replaced) and how slow it got after the buffer was full. My SD card is UHS 1, but I'm going to have to look up whether the M50 supports UHS 2 (I don't think it does).

Unfortunately, the pictures I was happiest with were of students, so I can't post them. But here are a few I can post from an outdoor archery activity under some heavy cloud cover; one of a coworker, one of my wife, and one of the tribe member who was running the archery activity.

7artisans 55mm F1.4 Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow